A close up of the journal artwork
Well, I did it. I completed the first assignment for the Lilla Rogers Design Competition. As usual I waited until the 11th hour to get my work done, wrapping things up around 11:30 last night in order to avoid a morning scramble trying to submit my design online by 9am while I made breakfast, lunches and got the kids to camp. Needless to say it isn't my best work but I feel good about getting the job done. While I had written the instructions down and reviewed the project requirements a number of times I neglected to remember some key points which in turn had me revising the layout more than once. In hindsight there are a few things I would have done differently. I didn't need to put my artwork on an actual piece of paper, that I had to cut to the correct size, duh. I could have scanned the artwork and placed it on a background in one of my design programs. Late night stupidity. Second blunder, I had thought for some reason that using the word "journal" was an option that didn't have to be put on the cover of the artwork. Wrong. Upon a reread, I saw no indication that it was an option. So in all my brilliance I hand wrote the word on the front of the artwork. Tired and bleary-eyed do not make for a nice, clean execution of my best handwriting. Ok. Enough bitching. Overall I am happy with the artwork, the colors and the composition. It brought back many memories of years of colored paper artwork and how much joy it gives me to create different scenes. So there you have it. I may not get shortlisted to the 50 top artists for this round, but I'm happy I participated.